Valentine’s Day Colorblocked Wine Tote Sewing Tutorial
Get ready to celebrate Valentine’s Day and sew our Valentine’s Day Wine Tote! In just a couple hours of sewing, you’ll have a festive wine tote to add to your Valentine’s Day table decor. Deanna, from Team NZP, selected two coordinating Valentine’s Day fabrics, along with our McCall’s M6338 Picnic Party Pattern – Shop NEW! Valentine’s Day Fabrics and more at ShopNZP.com!
In our sewing tutorial below, learn how Deanna made one Valentine’s Day Wine Tote look like two completely different wine totes! Can you guess how? If you look closely at the Wine Tote side seams, in the photos above, you may figure out our sewing secret!
Valentine’s Day Wine Tote Supplies
Valentine’s Day Wine Tote Sewing Tutorial!
Finished Size Approximately 4″ x 6″ x 14″
All seam allowance are 5/8″, unless otherwise stated.
Our Valentine’s Day Wine Tote may be sewn in as little as two or three hours – and is made from just two Valentine’s Day Fat Quarters, or 1/2 yd. each of two different fabrics.
Prepare all fabrics by pressing and starching with June Tailor’s Starch Savvy. Press and starch, press and starch.
Cut Fabrics & Interfacing
- Position wine tote pattern onto fabric rectangles, using Pins or Shape Weights to hold pattern in place.
Sewing Secret Revealed! To make one Wine Tote appear to be two completely different totes, sew two outer pieces together using two different fabrics! (And, sew two inner pieces together using two different fabrics). We also call this our Color Blocked Wine Tote!
- Pin or Wonder Clip inner fabrics, right sides together, at top narrow edge (one each of two different fabrics).
- Pin or Wonder Clip outer fabrics, right sides together, at top narrow edge (one each of two different fabrics).
Or, to make a traditional Wine Tote, with coordinating outer fabric (and coordinating inner fabric), place like fabrics right sides together – just like with did in our Halloween Wine Tote Sewing Tutorial.
- Place wine tote sections right sides together, aligning opposing fabrics.
- Pin or Wonder Clip along curved edges.
- Stitch wine tote sections along curved edges, only!
Extend the life of the cutting mat, and cut on the “reverse side” of the mat – when rotary cutting with a pinking blade!
- Turn right sides out. Press.
- Meet lower edges. Pin or Wonder Clip all four lower edge layers together.
- Using sewing machine, or serger, stitch all layers together – along lower edge.
Create Lower Gussets
- Fold lower corners meeting right sides together and matching lower seam to side seams.
- Mark a straight line at 1-1/2″ inside corner, as shown.
- Stitch along marked lines – using a Stilletto/Awl to assist feeding seams under presser foot.
Using an Open Toe Presser Foot makes it easy to stitch directly on the marked line!
- Optional: Create curved lower gusset seams by tracing a salad plate, marking curves at previously stitched lines, as shown.
- Stitch along curves lines.
Use The Big Jig behind and under presser foot, to keep presser foot level when sewing multiple layers!
- Trim lower seam allowances to 3/8″
- Serge or zigzag lower seam allowances.
- Turn right side out.
- Convert sewing machine to free arm sewing, and topstitch around curved handle seams.
- Our Color Blocked Valentine’s Day Wine Tote is complete!
Our Valentine’s Day Wine Tote holds one or two standard wine bottles, and also makes a great gift bag – with a built-in handle!
Valentine’s Day Wine Tote Supplies
Announcing the NEW! 2024 Nancy Zieman Productions Free! Block of the Month Mystery Quilt Series!
Announcing The Nancy Zieman Productions 2024 Block of the Month Mystery Quilt Series Kick Off featuring the NEW! Bali Batik Tropical Cove Fat Quarter Pack, or the NEW! Prismatics by Marta Cortese Fat Quarter Pack, along with our No-Hassle Triangles Gauge & Ruler!
The 2024 Block of the Month Mystery Quilt Series will be our absolute easiest BoM ever! We welcome everyone to join in, even if you’ve never before made a quilt!
Visit the Nancy Zieman Sewing Studio at 120 Front Street in Beaver Dam, WI 53916
NEW! 2024 Store Hours • Monday through Saturday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
❄️ PARKING AVAILABLE BEHIND STORE ❄️
Team Nancy Zieman & The Stitch it! Sisters
Nancy Zieman Productions. LLC.
Stitch it! Sisters is a production of NZ Productions LLC. Content in this feed is © copyright 2024 by Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC and may not be republished without written permission. You’re welcome to forward the email to a friend or colleague but it’s not okay to add the RSS feed automatically as content on a blog or other website. The FTC requires us to tell you that Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC has provided products by other companies in the course of doing business. The FTC requires us to advise you to take this information into consideration when reading this posting.
Make sure you are subscribed to Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC enews mailing list so you won’t miss a thing. Sign up at nancyzieman.com/blog/enews. And join us on YouTube,Facebook,Instagram and Pinterest!