Valentine Applique Coaster Sewing Tutorial & FREE! Applique Printable
Celebrate Valentine Sewing and stitch a set of Reversible Palette Coasters with our Whimsical Valentine Appliques! We stitched this easy sewing project with just four fat quarters! Our reversible drink coasters, or mug rugs, feature an envelope back and a front flat surface — an ideal “palette” for showcasing seasonal appliques! The reverse side opens to wrap around the base of a stemmed-glass.
Valentine Palette Coasters Supply Listing
Preshrink fabrics by steaming and pressing, and steaming and pressing a second time, and then spray press and starch fabric with June Tailor’s Quilter’s Starch Savvy — press and starch, press and starch.
- For four 5″ squares for coaster “fronts”. Note: Team NZP selected the above fabrics for the front of our coasters.
- For each Palette Coaster, cut three 5″ squares for coaster “backs” and for the reverse “envelope” side of the coaster.
We selected four different Fat Quarters – for the back of our coasters.
- With pencil, trace desired applique designs on paper side of Wonder-Under paper backed fusible web.
- Following manufacturer’s instructions, place rough side of Wonder-Under to wrong side of solid black cotton fabric. Press with dry iron. Allow to cool.
- Cut out appliqués. Gently peel off Wonder-Under paper backing.
After cutting out our applique shapes, we auditioned background fabrics:
- Position fusible appliqués to right side of palette coaster front fabrics.
Using a Non-Stick Teflon Pressing Sheet, press appliqués to palette coaster front fabric – using a dry iron.
- Optional: Layer multiple appliqué elements for multi-color designs.
- Stitch around outside edges of appliqués.
When stitching –or appliquéing– designs to fabric, stop with needle down on the outside of appliqué fabric when turning outside curves or corners; and stop with needle down on the inside of appliqué fabric when turning inside curves and corners! Always test stitches on a sample appliqué number– fused to a fabric scrap.
- Optional: Add stitching accents to your appliqué designs.
Stitch Reversible Palette Coaster
Approximate finished size: 4-1/2″ x 4-1/2″
- Press two coordinating 5″ fabric squares in half, creating 2-1/2″ x 5″ folded fabric rectangles.
- Layer front appliqued square to one 5″ coordinating fabric square, with wrong sides together and appliqued square facing up. Position two 2-1/2″ x 5″ fold fabric rectangles over thread-embellished square – with folded edges meeting at middle, and raw edges aligning to outer edges.
Our Reversible Palette Coasters are so fun to make, you’ll be stitching new coasters for every holiday! And, they make a great addition to a gift basket!
Valentine Palette Coasters Supply Listing
Related Valentine Posts
💗 Celebrate Valentine’s Day Sewing with our Valentine Love Letters Table Runner featuring our Modified Quarter-Square Triangles Tutorial. 💗 Our Valentine Love Letters Table Runner goes together in a couple evenings of sewing and features twenty-eight 4″ modified quarter square triangle quilt blocks – all made with fat quarters! Plus learn how to easily make 1/4-square quilt blocks with our No-Hassle Triangles Ruler and Gauge. There’s no-hassle and no need to ever cut a single triangle! 💗
Announcing the NEW! 2024 Nancy Zieman Productions Free! Block of the Month Mystery Quilt Series!
Announcing The Nancy Zieman Productions 2024 Block of the Month Mystery Quilt Series Kick Off featuring the NEW! Bali Batik Tropical Cove Fat Quarter Pack, or the NEW! Prismatics by Marta Cortese Fat Quarter Pack, along with our No-Hassle Triangles Gauge & Ruler!
The 2024 Block of the Month Mystery Quilt Series will be our absolute easiest BoM ever! We welcome everyone to join in, even if you’ve never before made a quilt!
Visit the Nancy Zieman Sewing Studio at 120 Front Street in Beaver Dam, WI 53916
NEW! 2024 Store Hours • Monday through Saturday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
❄️ PARKING AVAILABLE BEHIND STORE ❄️
Team Nancy Zieman & The Stitch it! Sisters
Nancy Zieman Productions. LLC.
Stitch it! Sisters is a production of NZ Productions LLC. Content in this feed is © copyright 2024 by Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC and may not be republished without written permission. You’re welcome to forward the email to a friend or colleague but it’s not okay to add the RSS feed automatically as content on a blog or other website. The FTC requires us to tell you that Nancy Zieman Productions, LLC has provided products by other companies in the course of doing business. The FTC requires us to advise you to take this information into consideration when reading this posting.