Looking for a small quilt project you can complete in an afternoon? Why not try making a Mug Rug? If you're looking for mug mat patterns, here are some of our favorite free quilted mug mat patterns!
There's something inherently comforting about sipping a hot beverage, especially when it's presented in a mug placed on a charming quilted rug. These little fabric coasters protect your surfaces and add a touch of artisanal warmth to your daily rituals. One of the best things is that making quilted mugs is an accessible project for both beginners and seasoned quilters.
In this post, I'll share some of my favorite Mug Rug designs and some of my best tips for creating and designing a mug rug!
What is a Mug Rug?
A mug mat is a small piece of fabric, often quilted, designed to serve as a coaster for a mug or mug. It's larger than a typical coaster but smaller than a placemat, providing a designated, decorative space for your cup and a place for a small snack or treat.
Mug mats are not only functional, protecting surfaces from heat and condensation, but they also provide the opportunity to express your creativity through your fabric choices, designs and quilting techniques. They are popular for adding a warm, personalized touch to coffee or tea breaks and make lovely handmade gifts.
- Fabric: Choose a cotton fabric for the top and backing. You can mix and match colors and patterns to create a visually appealing design. This is a small project; You can also experiment with non-traditional quilting fabrics.
- At bat: Use a thin fleece to provide some insulation for the mug mat; I prefer 100% cotton.
- Thread: Select a thread that complements the colors of the fabric.
- Quilting ruler and rotary cut: These tools will help you cut precise and straight pieces of fabric.
- Sewing machine: Although you can sew by hand, a sewing machine will make the process faster and more efficient.
Tips for Creating a Mug Mat
- Experiment with different fabric combinations to create unique designs. As mentioned above, this is a great way to test fabrics you wouldn't normally be able to quilt with.
- Raid your trash! Mug mats are perfect projects for using up some of your favorite fabric scraps!
- Practice your quilting technique on scraps of fabric before working on the final mat.
- Take your time with binding to ensure a neat finish. Since these projects are smaller, you may notice the binding details more than on a larger quilted project.
Free Mug Mat Patterns
Last year we shared a new mug mat design every month. I've put together the list of free templates for you today and included a few more that we have in our archives!